What You Need to Know about Diabetes and Your Teeth
Did you know that there are a great number of people having Diabetes in U.S.? According to www.diabetes.org, there are approximately 29.1 million Americans or 9.3% of the population have diabetes. With these alarming numbers, we can just see how diabetes can be the silent killer that we should be very careful of.
Diabetes, basically, is the condition wherein your body is having a difficulty in processing your sugar intake. And one of the uncanny effects of diabetes starts in your mouth. If during at the early stage of diabetes, you do not take action to treat it, your mouth may suffer. From what most dentists including our team of dentists at ToothSpa Dentistry, the trusted provider of Dental care in Sterling Parkway Lincoln CA, we have noticed the effects of diabetes in your mouth and here is how:
We hear our patients constantly saying that:
- “We seem to the excessively thirsty most of the time even though we drink a lot of water”
- “We often make trips to the bathroom to urinate”
- “We got a dry mouth. It seems like we ran out of saliva.”
- “My gums are always bleeding and it is very difficult for me to chew my food.”
- “I do not taste the food I eat at all”
Among all the above mentioned common complaints that we hear from the patients, the worst would be gum disease
What is gingivitis?
It is an inflammation in your gums caused by bacteria living in your mouth. Once bacteria find a breeding place in your mouth, they will attack your mouth causing your gums to bleed frequently for no reasons at all. Diabetes comes into picture when your bleeding will not stop anymore. Moreover, the presence of high glucose levels in saliva may help bacteria and plaque thrive if you have a high sugar count in your body, it will be less likely for your gums to heal. If your gums are exposed to air considering that they are very open because of the bleeding, you will be more susceptible to diseases.
How should we take care of our teeth?
As what our dentists at ToothSpa Dentistry, the complete source of Dental care in Sterling Parkway Lincoln CA, always recommend in taking care of your teeth, you should:
1. Cut off on sugar and carbohydrates
2. Brush your teeth two times a day and use floss every after brush to remove the plaques in between your teeth
3. Have your sugar monitored by your doctor always
4. Once you feel some pain in your teeth or you notice something odd, always treat this immediately to your dentists.
Diabetes and your teeth may not be a usual combination but as what you may have noticed, they are directly related to one another. What you eat may either worsen to lessen the amount of sugar in your body.
For more information about diabetes and how it affects your teeth, feel free to visit ToothSpa Dentistry, the trusted provider of Dental care in Sterling Parkway Lincoln CA. You can also have your check-ups with us at a very reasonable price. Please see our website for more details www.toothspadentistry.com