We’re all familiar with cavities and what it does to our teeth.
But how much of what we know are actually misconceptions? Read on to find out:
- Sugar is the main culprit behind cavities.Yes, sugary foods like candy and jams can bring you cavities, BUT, so can bread, pasta, beans, potatoes, and even fruit.Surprised? The bacteria that causes cavities actually feed on the sugar and carbohydrates that you enjoy with your meals. And sugars and carbohydrates aren’t found in candies and other sweet goods alone.
But if you keep your dental hygiene in top shape, then you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
- Eating acidic foods can lead to tooth decay.Lemons, oranges, yogurt, soft drinks… who doesn’t like them?While these items may seem harmless at first glance, careless consumption of them can erode the enamel of your teeth. And yes, that’s dangerous. If left untreated it can result in full-blown tooth decay.
- Children are at a higher risk for cavities than adults.Not necessarily. Thanks to the addition of fluoride to the local water systems, Americans now have better oral health than ever.However, if you don’t work on your dental hygiene, you can still be at risk for cavities (no matter your age).
- Aspirin can soothe a cavity.Applying a bit on aspirin by a cavity may ease some of the discomforts, but it’s not a cure.In any case, you shouldn’t rely on this remedy because the aspirin can damage your gum tissue. If you feel your tooth being sore or painful, the best plan of action for that would be to see a dentist.
- Cavities come with observable symptoms.Some cavities aren’t always spotted in an oral exam. And at the beginning, they might not even cause any discomfort too.This is why it is important for you to get a hold of Preventive Dental Care in Lincoln, CA. That way, you can stop a dental problem from happening before it blows out of proportion.
- Gaps in between teeth are more likely to develop cavities.Food debris has a higher chance at getting stuck in between the small crevices in between tooth (and even in the cracks or chips in teeth).This is why it is vital for you to brush twice in a day, floss once, and rinse with mouthwash. Those habits will help your chompers remain strong and healthy.
- Teeth sensitivity means cavities.Not always. There are a lot of other different factors that can give rise to teeth sensitivity, and cavities are only one of them.Other probable causes behind sensitive teeth include gum recession, hypersensitive teeth, or excessive brushing (which wears down a tooth’s enamel).
When you have dental health concerns, you should always check with licensed dentists from Tooth Spa Dentistry. Not only will we deliver you prime preventive dental care, but we can also give your teeth the extra care it needs with Cosmetic Dentistry.