Oral Cancer: What You Need to Know
Oral cancer is also known as mouth cancer. Cancer affects any parts that make up the oral cavity. This includes the lips, gums, tongue, inner lining of the cheeks, roof, and floor of the mouth.
What are its signs and symptoms?
- Swellings, lumps, rough spots, or eroded areas on the gums, lips, or other areas inside the mouth.
- The development of white and/or red patches in the mouth.
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth and unexplained numbness or pain in any area of the mouth, face, or neck.
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing and hoarseness or change in voice.
- Dramatic weight loss.
If you observe any of these changes, immediately contact a dentist in any dental care in Lincoln, California or your healthcare professional.
Who Gets Oral Cancer?
Men are more at risk of oral cancer than women. Risk factors include:
- Smoking cigarettes or even consumption smokeless tobacco.
- Excessive alcohol intake.
- Family history of cancer.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight.
- Human papillomavirus.
Regular Preventive Dental Care in California might reduce the risk of developing such disease. It is important to note that individuals who drink alcohol but do not smoke are still at high risk.
How to Prevent Oral Cancer?
- Avoid smoking or using any tobacco products, as well as avoid drinking alcoholic drinks.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and limit your exposure to the sun.
- Conduct a self-exam at least once a month by checking your mouth for any significant changes.
- See your dentist regularly.
Tooth Spa Dentistry offers high-quality Dental Services in a unique spa-like environment. Our professional but friendly staff will give you the best assistance you need.